Behave like a knight and carry a woman on his hands? Beneath the surface can be so overwhelming desire to dominate. What is sexism? About how he appears and what he says male “machismo,” writes likar.info.
Sexism: the norm or a mental disorder?
Under understand sexism prejudice against the person by sex or gender. It is an ideology that supports Patriarchy and the oppression of women. It was for centuries: the man always was a hunter, scout, warrior. He is stronger, and therefore he has more rights. Sexism divides people into men and women, opposing them to each other. This idea justifies the domination of men and subordination of women.
Currently sexist as the Patriarchy is widely distributed around the world. Even in the most free and tolerant countries, it manifests itself in different spheres of social life, particularly in the family, health, education, religion, politics, the media and even the arts.
It is noteworthy that recently psychologists from Indiana University came to the conclusion that sexism can be a symptom of a psychological disorder men. The researchers conducted 80 studies that involved about 20 thousand people. This work was dedicated to the relations between the mental health of a man and his behavior. First of all we are talking about such characteristics as the desire always to be first, risk appetite, desire to dominate, cruelty, emotional incontinence, lust for power over women, homophobia and others.
In the course of research by American scientists found out that the more a man strives to be a true “macho”, the more mental health problems. This statement is most true in the case when a man just because of their gender considers himself a higher being. Most of such behavior is hiding depression, but these men, as a rule, are not inclined to seek qualified help.
Among other manifestations of sexism are commonly distinguished and benevolent sexism. Studies show that most people (not only men but also women) women ambivalent attitude. It consists of both negative (sometimes hostile) and positive ratings. This so-called ambivalent sexism, the components of which are hostile and benevolent sexism.
So, if in hostile sexism characteristic statements about the inadequacy and inferiority of women with benevolent sexism is not the case.
When benevolent sexism woman idealize, imagine her caring, sensitive, fragile and delicate. In other words, the woman seems to be a creation in need of male protection. It should be understood that not only hostile but also benevolent sexism justifies male dominance with the only difference that while hostile sexism male dominance looks brutal.
It is noteworthy that benevolent sexism many women perceive as acceptable and even flattering. Often such behavior is not perceived as sexism. At the same time, this ideology excludes a woman from the public sphere and does not let her position in society, where typically dominated by men.
A few words about NeoAxis
Currently, many progressive companies sexist ideology often take more subtle and difficult are distinguishable forms. To study such phenomena, scientists have even coined such a thing as “modern sexism” and “NeoAxis”.
This hidden sexism, as a rule, is expressed in the denial of the existence of sexism and negative reactions to the demands of the people in the protection of women against discriminatory phenomena. For such a modern sexism is characterized by such statements as, for example, “In modern society the woman is not discriminated against”; “the issue of gender equality women make high demands”; “In recent years, women received from the state too many rights”. It is noteworthy that people who say such things consider themselves supporters of gender equality and even speak out against sexism as such.
For the few psychological research shows that people who show a hidden sexism, tend to overstate the availability of women for traditionally male professions and condemns positive discrimination. In addition, these people are much worse recognize sexual harassment and is frequently used sexist expressions in conversations.
Manifestations of sexism that you don’t notice
– The humor. If you heard a bawdy joke from brutal men, it is generally accepted as the norm, and there is nothing “such”. But if such jokes you hear from girls? Most likely, you will hesitate, even if externally and not show surprise.
– Sex life. If a man has a relationship with several women, it seems to be OK. However, if such sexual life of the woman, often her condemn and insult. The same applies to relationships and resorts. For men it seems normal, but as a woman. In this case, a clear explanation of why men can and women can’t does not exist.
– “You’re still not married?”. By and large, it’s not your business what a woman of 35-40, she is still not married. It can be hundreds of different reasons, including medical. Implicit condemnation and astonishment of this fact is a classic manifestation of sexism that we simply don’t notice. Sexindia manifestation of this issue is often addressed to men.
– “As a woman, you’re fine with the whole deal”. Women who have achieved success in life (e.g., sports, business, science), I often hear a similar phrase in his address. Uttering these words, the man, on the one hand, it seems to be acknowledging the success of women, but at the same time devalues it. We still can’t get over the idea that women, like men, can drive a car, to lead the company and to understand the technique.
– Soft sexism. You have shown a desire to help the woman to clean the office after a corporate party? On the one hand, this may seem a laudable gesture, but there is a hidden sexism. Naturally, any person will be happy to help in this matter, but in cases when in such situation, the man manifests a desire to help the woman, it is a manifestation of benevolent sexism.
– “Smile”. When a man tells a woman to smile, it is unlikely that he really wants to see her smile. Here is hidden the desire of men to demonstrate their power and superiority.
– “You have great…”. Studies show that more than 85% of American women will experience violence. This violence should be understood and the words spoken after the woman. When you mark any part of the female body, thus turning the woman into an inanimate object.
As for sexism hiding other problems, and, as a rule, in this case, people rarely turn to psychologists, to resolve this problem is extremely difficult. Women and men exposed to sexist attacks, should not be discouraged, and if possible, conduct discussions or simply not communicate with people who are unpleasant to them.