September 27, Orthodox believers celebrate the feast of the exaltation of the Holy cross, one of the 12 major feasts of the Orthodox Church. Details about this day, its history, traditions, the miraculous healing icon of the exaltation of the cross, and what not to do in the holiday site says “Today”.
Christians this day commemorates the finding of the cross, which occurred, according to Church tradition, in the year 326 in Jerusalem near the mount of Calvary – the place of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
- What important holidays are waiting for us in September-2017: the Church calendar
After the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Gentiles tried by all means to erase one of my memories of this event, historians write. To Express disdain for Jesus Christ, the unbelievers covered with Calvary and the Holy Sepulchre, and in their place erected a temple, where the pagans worshipped their idols. That changed only after 300 years, during the reign of Emperor Constantine the Great. During his reign the greatest relic of Christianity was found again.
What not to do in the feast of the exaltation of the cross September 27
- Our ancestors, there were various signs and traditions associated with this day. For example, it was believed that the feast of the exaltation of the cross all reptiles, snakes and lizards, sliding into one place, to make his winter nest. That’s why carefully locked gates and doors to not a snake crawled into the house.
- According to folk belief, on this day it was forbidden to walk in the woods. People say, the devil goes around his domain and recalculates all the animals. If a person gets in his eyes, then from the forest he will not return. It is believed that the feast on September 27, the bears lie in hibernation, snakes hide in burrows until spring, and depart latest records.
- There is also a belief: do not start any important things on the exaltation of the cross, because everything started going to pieces. So, it is better to leave all the important things for tomorrow.
- Remember that on this day all the Orthodox observe a strict fast. Not eating meat, fish, eggs and dairy products. Food can be seasoned only with vegetable oil.
The exaltation of the cross: what helps icon
Icon of the exaltation of the Holy cross is known for its miraculous abilities. After sincere prayer the Holy Cross a seriously ill woman managed to go the full path of healing from ailments.
Helps icon of the Exaltation of the cross in sincere prayers, say them before the image below:
- To cope with infertility.
- To get rid of incurable diseases.
- To cure the diseased bones and joints.
- To cope with chronic migraines.
- To cure a toothache.
History of the feast of the exaltation of the Holy cross
On 13 September 335, in Jerusalem, consecrated the Church of the Resurrection. In honor of this event the feast of the exaltation of the Holy cross postponed to 14 September (new style – 27 September). Throughout the Christian world this was told by the bishops, who came to the consecration of different parts of the Roman Empire.
Don’t forget this holiday to go to Church to thank God for salvation and pray for their health and the health of their family.