In Ukraine, the growing popularity of the deadly games among adolescents. Job students receive through social media groups called “the Blue whale”. The administrators of these groups predispose adolescents to suicide. If a child refuses to kill yourself, criminals calculate IP address and threaten that for cowardice will have to answer to his family. But the “group of death” is not the only threat to children in social networks is full of perverts and fraudsters gaining children’s trust.
– How is the work progressing on the “groups of death” in social networks? 2 March, police raided administrators “blue whales”?
– Concerning the information about “blue whales”, the searches and arrest need to contact the Prosecutor General’s office Main investigative Department. Without their permission we have no right to keep it.
– But you are identifying “groups of death”?
Yes. We found in social networks about five hundred such groups. Among them are the participants from Ukraine.
– What is being done with members of these groups?
– When we identify such groups, first set them administrators and “guide dogs”. You need to understand that the administrator is the Creator of the group, and “guide dogs” can be several. Collected on these materials and sent to the investigating authorities to open criminal proceedings. Accordingly, the block group, directing a formal letter to the administration of the social network. As a rule, in 99% of cases the administration go forward and block groups to our appeals without waiting for the decision of the court.
– In addition to “groups of death”, what other threats exist for children in social networks? There are facts, when they are contacted by perverts and crooks.
Such facts are not isolated. Communicating on the Internet, it’s not always clear whether the real person you are dealing with. There is such a thing as “friendly fraud”, when, after a long dialogue an attacker is included in the trust, and then reported that he had problems, such as health and asks for help. On the Internet you need to be doubly careful. You need to understand all probable threats. If you just explain to the child that the social network account can be a fraudster, this will not allow him to become a victim. To avoid this, there must be parental control. We live in the information age – 40-50% of the time you spend online or near a computer. Every thing requires attention and protection. Also, the gadget requires a basic set of protection programs, the rules of Internet use.
If you just explain to the child that the social network account can be a fraudster, this will not allow him to become a victim.
– Against perverts and scammers you also struggle with? How they identify?
– Yes, identified and detained. The methods are different, and each case is individual. To open our tools to the public is unwise. Among your readers there may be intruders that can use this information.
– What are the threats to children exist in social networks?
The biggest danger is that children do not understand that it is impossible so to access your personal data. To give criminals a tool to implement their goals. Plus social networks are that you can not include your real name, that would close opportunities for criminals. Children do not understand. As a rule, social media leave almost all personal data about yourself. It concerns not only children. You need to use the opportunity to make the page closed, so that access to information was only available to friends. Personal data may be used to access many things: when a teenager becomes an adult is the access to payment tools, e-mail, accounts in social networks. These are criminals. For example, to tighten these “groups of death”. There is a saying “Who possesses information, that owns the world” – the more information we give publicly, the more tools we discover the cyber criminals.
You need to use the opportunity to make the page closed, so that access to information was only available to friends. Personal data may be used to access many things: when a teenager becomes an adult is the access to payment tools, e-mail, accounts in social networks. These are criminals.
– What can you do to avoid becoming a victim of criminals in social networks?
First tip: before you post information in social networks, you need to think about the consequences. In Ukraine there is a law on personal data, but people as carriers of personal data they are opened and placed in the network. You need to understand the risks that are a result of such action. Second tip: the gadgets on children parents should install parental controls through ISP home Internet or software that restricts access to content with the cult of violence – to treat him and the “group of death” and porn content. You can restrict access to certain sites and monitor where the child was on the Internet watching what I was doing. It will protect it from many negative manifestations of modernity.
– All social networks are equal threats to children or something different?
– You can not identify any threats and claim that they are focused on the child. I would not separate crimes aimed at children or adults. Yes, indeed, the “group of death” focused on children, because the psychology of the child more vulnerable than an adult. But these are isolated cases, everything else cannot be separated. We can provide a limitless number of examples, but they can be aimed at adults and children.
But children are more gullible and vulnerable
Yes, children are more trusting, so parents need to convince them to put in the network, less data to place on the pages of smaller photos with relatives, parents, brothers and sisters. Photos are also a tool for the attacker. First he looks at the pictures to understand whether this person be a victim, whether he has enough tools to achieve your goal. Teenagers why post pictures of – to boast of where he was, what his friends etc. the Attacker can see: the child had a rest abroad, travelling there is expensive. Or when a child is photographed against the background of expensive cars. Accordingly, the money, the child and his parents have – it will be of interest to the attacker. When the page has no personal information and dozens of photos, the offender is such a page would be boring and he won’t spend time on it.
Photos are also a tool for the attacker. First he looks at the pictures to understand whether this person be a victim, whether he has enough tools to achieve your goal.
– Perverts as well?
Yes. If a girl or a boy seem attractive to the attacker, he writes to them. No one stops to chat in social networks, but we ask parents to pay attention to it and listen to the children that use fake screen names, avatars. Someone who will be with you openly communicate, you don’t need the pictures.
Adolescent in social networks sometimes share their personal feelings and thoughts. As this is available to criminals?
There is a saying: “do Not open your soul to anyone, it can spoil”. Unfortunately, it’s true. No need to open the soul to outside people. It is not always the person you pour soul, will help you. If it is an attacker, he mozetepovezati this information, for example, for blackmail, if it is information of a personal or intimate nature. You can call it paranoia, but online need to make for the criminals everyone but yourself is one of the main instruments of protection.
– Parents often do not have access to gadgets for kids. How to monitor what they do online?
– The child can’t buy a gadget. In any case, his poor parents. Bought and installed the software, parental control. Someone might say that it restricts the rights of the child, but parental control is not to restrict the rights of a son or daughter, and to protect them. It’s not spyware, but a program that will not allow the child with unformed mentality to get into trouble. No matter what is the “group of death”, the Internet’s total smut content, sites on drug trafficking – it’s all blocked. Generally, parental controls are password-protected, the child will not be able to change the settings without knowing the password nor delete. The program will require password to change its settings.
Program the parental controls are password-protected, the child will not be able to change the settings without knowing the password nor delete. The program will require password to change its settings.
– The police have the authority to work with social media or the law is the problem?
Not enough. We need to change the Criminal code in accordance with the realities in a number of outstanding areas. Our penal code longer confined to real life, though now half of it is for gadgets on the Internet. This is the direction our code does not take into account. Abroad kiberprestuplenie have a history of 20-25 years and adapted legislation. Our units are newly created and, therefore, legislation, in addition to the 16th section, in fact does not regulate this area. For example, there are problems with groups in social networks, but investigators and prosecutors are forced to describe the “group of death” or under article 115 “Deliberate murder”, or under article 120 “Incitement to suicide”. Why not legalize a separate article, which would encompass all aggravating circumstances under the realities of today. The law is basically rules of conduct that define what is good and what is bad.Today there are a number of bills from the National police, Ministry of internal Affairs, the President of Ukraine. If they are accepted – this will be a big step in settlement of relations in the IT sector, cyberspace and giving us authority to regulate these relationships, and documenting crime.