That Russian — peculiar people, we see every day. There is nothing which would not be in their huge country, which is located on two continents. However, there are some facts about Russia that are little known.
1. Russia is the only country in the world that is washed by 12 seas.
2. Ural mountain range that divides Russia into European and Asian side, is the oldest mountain range in the world.
3. Saint Petersburg is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over a million people.
4. The area of Siberia reaches 9.7 million square kilometers, and is 9% of the total surface of the Earth.
5. Russia never had slavery. The feudal period in Russia was shorter than in England, so Russian did not have time to develop this “tradition”.
6. 16.01.1820 Russian explorers Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev discovered Antarctica.
7. One of the most popular computer game “Tetris” was created by Russian programmer Alexey Pajitnov.
8. Ivan the terrible was not terrible tyrant. Compared to some European monarchs Ivan the rules is very soft.
9. The waiting time for trains in the Moscow subway — the shortest in the world. During rush hour trains come to the station with a frequency of a maximum of 90 seconds.
10. Half of Chelyabinsk is located in Ural, and the second in Siberia. On the city coat of arms depicts a camel. Today in Chelyabinsk there, but 200 years ago, when the city was a crossroads of caravan routes, camels were.
11. Not so long ago in Moscow were more millionaires than anywhere else in the world.
12. Russian state library is the largest in Europe and second largest in the world. It was founded in 1862.
13. On the day of the opening of the first McDonald’s in Moscow (to 700 people) since five in the morning in Pushkin square lined up five thousand people. In the first day the restaurant served a three thousand visitors, and it is still the most visited “McDonald’s” in the world.
14. Square of Suzdal city is 15 square kilometers, with a population of only ten thousand inhabitants. However, in Suzdal 53 Church.
15. Russian scientists have discovered and invented television, the electron microscope, helicopter, bomber, video recorder, color photography, artificial heart, gasoline engine, harvester, gun, synthetic rubber, radio, drill, projector, periodic structure, electrical submarine, detergent and much more.
16. In Russia at least 15 secret cities. They are not on maps and are not pointers.
17. In 1930, a Russian fisherman caught a sturgeon, which was 245 kilograms of caviar.
18. Each of the tsars of the Romanov dynasty left his successor a greater state than he received in his time.
19. City Park Moscow far surpasses in area the largest urban parks in the world. Area Izmaylovsky Park reaches of 15.35 square miles, and is six times larger than Central Park in new York.
20. Russia is considered a European country, but two-thirds of its territory is in Asia.