Lent in 2017 begins February 27 and runs until April 15. Lent begins seven weeks before Easter and consists of forty days (Chetyrehchastnaya), and the week before Easter (Holy week).
- See also: When lent begins in 2017
Chetyrehchastnaya is celebrated in honor of the fact that Jesus Christ fasted in the wilderness for forty days and Holy week – in memory of the life of Christ in the last days of his life, about His crucifixion and resurrection, the Telegraph reports.
Basic foods allowed in a post:
- Brown bread, cereal bread;
- Mushrooms of various cooking;
- Cereals (buckwheat, oats, rice, corn, wheat, barley);
- Seasonal vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, cabbage, radish, etc.);
- Salted and pickled vegetables, jam from berries and fruits;
- Legumes (beans, lentils, peas);
- Seasonal fruit (apples, bananas, pomegranate, oranges, etc.);
- Dried fruit, nuts, honey;
- The fish are allowed to eat twice in the entire post – in the feast of the Annunciation (April 7) and palm Sunday (April 9).
Earlier sabados, how to prepare for the beginning of lent and to reduce the stress of rejection skoromnogo.